Monday, November 24, 2008

Melancholee in November

Alluding to "Search for New Land" as I had in my last post, I thought this would be a good moment to make a post about Mr. Lee Morgan. a brilliant musician who was unfortunately shot down in his prime (literally).


Here are a few clips

I Remember Clifford (live in 1958 with the Jazz Messengers)


Now the next few videos were taped literally in the days before his death.

"Angela" Live In NYC in 1972


"I Remember Britt" Live in NYC in 1972


I can remember, the first album I heard by Lee Morgan was "the sidewinder" when I was a 12 years old. My uncle had played it over and over again, along with Freddie Hubbard's Hub Tones. As a kid I didn't know what to make of it, My primary exposure to Jazz came through this uncle. I used to accompany him to his job as when I was a kid and he'd play Miles, Stan Turrentine, Shirely Scott etc. We'd drive down the Henry Hudson, onto the West Side highway and he'd be telling me what to listen for and stuff and who he thought was garbage (lol). Those are some memories that i'll never forget, Thanks Lee.

R.I.P July 10th 1938 - February 16th 1972


and now for a little extra, Here's a Bill Evans video + Mp3 of the original recording

Bill Evans - Re: Person I Knew


Bill Evans Trio - Re: Person I knew (Moonbeams, 1962, Riverside)


The Players on the Mp3 and as well as the recording for that album (Moonbeams) are -

Bill Evans - Piano
Chuck Israels - Bass
Paul Motian - Drums


Enjoy...
stay up and one love
Lateef

1 comment:

Black Moses said...

that angela vid is too dope, man...i cant wait to peep the others